Wednesday, March 24, 2010

LETS PLAY BALL!

One thing that I have really wanted to do for a very long time is to play a team sport, or get involved in something along those lines, but essentially, just playing some type of sport.
Unfortunately for me, this is where the sloth comes in and proceeds to jump rest its slothful self on my aspirations of ever joining a sports team.
I suppose its because of the fact that I know that I could play a sport, I have just always been a little bit apprehensive about joining in the first place, perhaps fearing that I would never be able to keep up with the rest of the players on the team.
All through my life I have kind of shyed away from team sports, most probably because I am not nearly as fit as I would like, and now it seems almost infathomable to me to just simply rock up to a training session one night, with a bunch of guys who have most probably been playing that sport for most of their lives.
So, once I find a sport that I might seem to be the remotest bit interested in, I subsequently go around making excuses for why I couldn't possibly do it, like "its too far away, the training is too late at night or early in the morning". Blah. Blah.
However, in light of my realisation of my slothfullness, I have decided that I am going to try to find a sport that I enjoy and that I would be able to become committed to. In the next month, I am going to aim to find some type of physical activity that I can take part in, and just see how it goes. If I can work it into my routine, there should be no problems.
In the spirit of this, I've decided to do some research on a few lesser known sports, just to give everyone a taste of what's out there to discover.
First of all, there is Fistball, which pretty much just looks like volleyball, except the ball can actually hit the ground. Here is a little youtube bit for you to see what it looks like.
I think it could well be a possibility if it were more popular here. Trying to do a google search for fistball in Australia did not really yield an astonishing amount of results.
Then of course there is the Finnish Wife-Carrying competition, which always sounds like really good fun, except that I dont really have a wife. Strike that one out too then. But just to see how much fun we are missing out on, check out this.
After looking at both of these, it just proves to me that anything can be a sport, and there has just got to be something out there for me to enjoy, so I'll keep the search going on, and hopefully by the end of the month I'll have something going on!

1 comment:

  1. that wife carrying comp looked prettttty fun XD

    lol

    and good! i hope u find something soon. Im seriously enjoying dancing, I only just realised how much I like it because I won tickets to some gig on sunday and Id rather go to dancing than the gig haha =]

    ReplyDelete